Apply For Grants
Komen West Texas is privileged to help fund critical, compassionate work in our communities through large, Community-Based Grants ($5,001 and over for access to screening and diagnostic services, and treatment and support resources) and Small Grants ($5,000 and under for community outreach and education programs). The Affiliate’s largest expense each year is local grant funding for services provided to people living in our service area.
The following notes will help explain the Komen West Texas grants process.
- The RFA covers the 26 Panhandle counties and the 18 South Plains counties and will be funded by monies raised in those counties.
- The grants committee will consist of members from the Panhandle and South Plains and will review all RFAs .
- Community grants may be requested for $5,001 up to $45,000 by completing this RFA in GeMS, the online grants management system.
- Because we have merged two different processes, please take extra care to address each section of the RFA thoroughly. Among the sections to review:
** Funding priorities**
* Allowable expenses
* Criteria in evaluating RFAs
– Impact (20%)
– Statement of Need (15%)
– Project Design (20%)
– Organizational Capacity (15%)
– Monitoring and Evaluation (10%)
– Organizational Sustainability (20%)
- Timeline for community grants is included in the Komen West Texas Community Grants RFA 2019-2020.
Application Deadline January 10, 2019
Award Notification March 22, 2019
Award Period April 1, 2019 – March 31, 2020
Progress Report Due October 30, 2019
Final Report Due May 15, 2020
- Small grants ($5,000 and less) for training and education may be requested through a simpler application process.
The grant application process is competitive. Whether or not an organization has received a grant in the past, funding in subsequent years is never guaranteed and depends upon the quality of this application, the quality of the applicant pool, and the funds available for distribution. An independent Grant Review Panel of breast cancer experts, community members, and survivors evaluates grants to determine which will have the greatest impact in serving our community.
All applications must be submitted online through the Komen Grants e-Management System (GeMS): https://affiliategrants.komen.org. The GeMS Applicant Guide is available, as is training on use of the GeMS system.
Eligibility requirements include having a tax-exempt status and serving members of our 62-county service area with a project specific to breast health and/or breast cancer. See the RFA for full eligibility requirements.
The Request for Application (RFA) for both grants is built around priorities in the community profile found at Our Community Needs. The RFA also sets the rules for applying for Komen Affiliate grants, including deliverables under the grant contract, evaluation criteria, grants structure and budget and other qualifying guidelines that must be met before the proposal is sent to review.
Community-Based Grants support local screening and access to treatment programs. The application deadline is generally in December or early January of each year.
Small Grants fund education and outreach programs. Please check back in February for an updated 2019 Small Grants RFA. Applications are accepted year round starting in March.
We are committed to supporting grantees and their programs throughout the life of the grant. For questions or application assistance, please contact: